We’re upgrading our Makerbot Cupcake CNC with a stepper motor-driven plastic extruder. Here are the components of the new plastruder:
- Polulu A4983 Stepper Motor Driver Carrier
- Makergear Plastruder Pack
- Kysan 42BYGH243AG14 Bipolar Stepper Motor
- John Yang’s PSCC V1.5 carrier board kit
I just finished soldering the carrier board kit with the shweet new Hakko 936 iron I got for Christmas.
We haven’t extruded any ABS plastic yet so you’ll have to settle for the impressive toothpick-and-electrical-tape indicator I stuck to the motor drive shaft :]
- Operating the PSCC V1.5 without its GND input connected will produce mysterious behavior (e.g. stepping the motor erratically based on the electrostatic fields of nearby objects!)
- The LED at top left indicates power supplied to the board.